Montrose in 1951, Tom studied drawing at Edinburgh College of Art from 1971 to
1975, under Philipson, Peploe, Cumming and Michie. After gaining a
qualification in 1978, he followed a career in teaching, ultimately working as
Head of Art at James Gillespie's High School in Edinburgh. During this time
most of his paintings were commissioned pieces. Now, however, Tom devotes
himself entirely to painting. A well-known exhibitor at Stenton, even his
smaller images seem to arrest the eye from a distance.
Tom has always been fascinated by the effect of light and colour on his
surroundings. His subjects include the small fishing villages of Fife, the
canals of Venice, the Tuscan and Gascon countryside. Now, since settling with
his family in the south-west of France, he is absorbing and responding to the
warmer dappled sunlight around him in the harbours of the Mediterranean and the
easy-going outdoor life of the local people. Full of acute observation these
images capture an atmospheric warmth.
Tom's paintings are to be found in the collections of The Royal Bank of
Scotland, Clydesdale Bank, West Lothian District Council, the Sutherland
Regional Authority, PriceWaterhouseCoopers and Boland Limited, as well as many
private collections throughout the UK, France, Germany and Canada.